- The contacts are enclosed, so oxidation of the contact points is impossible.
- In hazardous locations, interrupting the circuit does not emit a spark that could ignite flammable gases.
- Contacts stay clean, and even if an internal arc occurs, the contact surfaces renew on every operation, so they don’t wear out.
- Even a small drop of mercury has low resistance, so switches can carry useful amounts of current in a small size.
- The sensitivity of the drop to gravity provides a unique sensing function and lends itself to simple, low-force mechanisms for manual or automatic operation.
- The switches are quiet, as no contacts abruptly snap together.
- The mass of the moving mercury drop provides an over-center effect to avoid chattering as the switch tilts.